To be accredited by the Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services, CNA classes in Texas must meet the federal minimum of 75 hours of instruction and 16 hours of clinical training as part of their curricula. These requirements usually take a minimum of 8 weeks to complete, but can usually be finished sooner by full-time students. Admission requirements for most programs include a clean criminal record, a high school diploma or GED (although this is not a state requirement) and the candidate being at least 18 years of age at the time of enrollment.
In order to become a CNA in Texas, students must pass the NNAAP within 24 months of finishing their training. If an individual is unable to accomplish this within the specified time frame, he or she must retake all of their CNA courses before becoming eligible for testing again. To be considered eligible for hire in the State of Texas, a CNA candidate is required to be registered in the Texas Nurse Aide Registry.
To meet the expected 20%-plus increase in demand for nurses aides in Texas over the next decade, there are currently accredited programs offering CNA classes in Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Austin, Amarillo, Killeen, Tyler, Beaumont and El Paso.
View Larger Map
CNA Jobs in Texas
2011 Employment: 94,120
2018 Projected Employment: 126,160
CNA Salary in Texas
2011 Mean Hourly Wage: $10.82
2011 Annual Mean Wage: $22,510
Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Recommended CNA Classes in Texas
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Medical Assisting
- Dental Assisting
As a student at South University, you will have the opportunity to learn from accomplished faculty members who have real-world experience in the subjects that they teach. Our small class sizes allow you to receive personalized attention from instructors, and the encouragement to recognize your goals for the future and the means to achieve them.
- Nursing (BS)
Our programs are focused and centered on empowering you with the skills you need to enter the expanding and rewarding Health Care Industry. Learn only what you need to gain employment in your particular field, so you can get certified and enter the job market faster.
- Medical Assistant-Certificate
- Dental Assistant Certificate
REACH HIGHER, GET HIRED
Take the step to get a new career today
SPARK SUCCESS WITH SCI
Southern Careers Institute has maintained a tradition of career training for over 50 years in Texas with campuses in Austin, Brownsville, Corpus Christi, Harlingen, Pharr, San Antonio & Online courses available to anyone, anywhere.
At SCI, we have made it our mission to provide our students with the training they need to be successful in a new career. We offer career training in Medical, Business, Skilled Trades, Cosmetology, & Technology programs. These certification-based programs are designed to make our graduates some of the most marketable job candidates.
We are Texas born, Texas proud.
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Office Specialist
- Medical Assistant-Associate
- Medical Assistant-Diploma
- Dental Assistant-Diploma
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
Get hands-on training with South Texas Vocational Technical Institute. We offer a number of diploma programs in the skilled trades and health and wellness fields at our campuses in Weslaco, Corpus Christi, McAllen, San Antonio, and Brownsville, Texas.
- Medical Administrative Assisting Technology
- Medical Assisting
- Dental Assisting
Our mission is YOUR SUCCESS!
When you succeed, we succeed. That is why we provide high-quality, specialized career preparation for all our students. Our goal is to help you find your rewarding career.
Our Mission Statement:
To provide high-quality, specialized career preparation or enhancement to meet and cope with technological changes resulting in employment and career success.
- Medical Assisting, AAS
- Medical Assisting, Diploma
- Dental Assistant, Diploma
UEI College (Formally Anthem College – Bryman School) is for individuals who seek to achieve more with their lives through education and training. No matter what stage of life you find yourself in, it is never too late to set new goals for yourself.
- Medical Assistant Technician - DIP