The combined requirements of the New Mexico Human Services Department and federal regulations mandate that CNA classes in New Mexico consist of at least 75 total hours of instruction. This includes a minimum of 16 hours of hands-on clinical training. For full-time students, these hours can typically be completed in 6 to 12 weeks. Gaining acceptance into an accredited program requires applicants to have either a high school diploma or GED, pass a criminal background check, and be at least 18 years of age.
Upon completion of their training programs, students have a total of 24 months in which to take the NNAAP or other state-sanctioned certification exam. Test takers must pass both halves of the exam (multiple-choice and clinical skills demonstration) in order to receive an overall passing score and become certified. Eligibility to work as a CNA in the state additionally requires the person to be listed in the New Mexico Nurse Aide Registry.
Demand for nurses aides in local health care facilities is highest in the state’s capital and largest city so CNA classes in New Mexico are mainly offered in Santa Fe and Albuquerque.
CNA Jobs in New Mexico
2011 Employment: 6,650
2018 Projected Employment: 9,800
CNA Salary in New Mexico
2011 Mean Hourly Wage: $12.08
2011 Annual Mean Wage: $25,140
Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Recommended CNA Classes in New Mexico
Keiser University is a private, not-for-profit university.
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting Science
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
Get hands-on training with Brookline College. We offer diploma and degree programs in the areas of health care, business, nursing, criminal justice, paralegal, and computer security. We understand that today's student is busy with many responsibilities, so we offer day, evening, and online classes, giving you options to fit school into your schedule.
- Diploma - Medical Assistant
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- BecomeANurseOnline.com - Online/Campus Nursing Diploma Programs Available
- Are You Ready to Start Earning Your Nursing Degree in 2019? Find Affordable and Flexible CNA Programs Here!
- Answer a Few Questions to Get Free Info on Online or Campus CNA Programs Within Minutes
- Choose from Diploma, Associate, and Certificate Level Nursing Degree Options
- Get Matched to Nursing Programs Today—It's Fast, Easy, and Free!