In order to be accredited by the state and satisfy federal requirements, CNA classes in Alabama are required to include at least 75 hours of instruction in health care fundamentals and 25 hours of clinical training. The majority of programs can be completed in 8 to 13 weeks by full-time students, and are offered by a variety of respected vocational schools and community organizations (including the American Red Cross). In order to be eligible for admission, students must generally hold either a high school diploma or GED, although certain programs may have their own additional prerequisites for admission as well.
Upon completion of their coursework, students become eligible to sit for the National Nurse Aide Assessment Program (NNAAP) which is administered by the Alabama State Department of Health. Students must pass both the written and hands-on, skills demonstration portion of this test in order to earn their CNA certification. To become eligible for hire as a certified nursing assistant in Alabama, students must then become listed with the Alabama Certified Nurse Aide Registry.
Because of comparatively high demand for nurses aides in local job markets, CNA classes in Alabama are primarily offered at locations in Mobile and Birmingham.
CNA Jobs in Alabama
2011 Employment: 21,040
2018 Projected Employment: 26,710
CNA Salary in Alabama
2011 Mean Hourly Wage: $10.37
2011 Annual Mean Wage: $21,570
Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Recommended CNA Classes in Alabama
- Fortis offers a Medical Assisting program designed to propel you forward
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Most campuses offer hands-on instruction for a variety of healthcare fields
- Provides guidance & assistance to students exploring their financial aid options
- Patient Care Technician
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- And more...
Get Career-Relevant Training with Miller-Motte Tech!
- Medical Clinical Assistant